The Lives of Jamie and Kelly

Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Just before we went to the hospital...

Just got back from my doc appt and here is the midweek update:

90% effaced (that is good - just need to get to 100) - big change from
Friday (last appt) when we were 50% effaced
1-2 cm dilated - small change from Friday when we were 1 cm
-1 station - this is an indication of where the baby is in the pelvis -
the highest is -3, beginning of the birth canal is 0 and birth is +3
Little plug called the mucous plug that plugged up the cervix is out.
Contractions are between 10 and 15 mins apart consistently - they hurt,
but not so bad that I need to go to the hospital yet. I was told at the
doc appt today to wait until they are 3-5 mins apart for an hour and
until they drop you to your knees. Oh goodie. She is hopeful I will
go into labor on my own by Saturday. If not, we will probably stick
with our induction plan - check in to the hospital Sat night at 5 pm for
some prostaglandin gel and then start the Ivs on Sunday morning - could
take up to 36 hours after that too - you never know. We will decide
Saturday morning if we will stick with our induction plan or not -
just depends on how we are feeling.

Will keep you posted.

Love
Sara & Andy