Type 1 Diabetes
Well, this was a big bummer of a week. On Monday January 9, 2006, I was diagnosed with Type 1 Juvenile Diabetes, an autoimmune disease where my own cells kill other healthy cells in my pancreas such that I don't make any insulin. No wonder I have been feeling so crappy lately. I spent 4 days and 3 nights in the hospital this week. The first night we stayed in this place called the PICU - it stunk because it was full of cranky kids - I was one of them! Mom stayed with me all night, of course, and she said it stunk too. I had IVs in both feet so I could not stand or walk and the nurses came in to draw blood every hour all night long - I hope I never have a night like this again. The next few nights were a little better - Mom, Dad and I all had a slumber party and I got to watch lots of movies (LION KING was my favorite) and met many new friends - my favorite is Dr. Adi!
Thank Goodness we figured it out finally so that I can begin to feel better - thank goodness no more enemas and thank goodness I can still have chocolate and ice cream if I feel like it (since the development of Type 1 diabetes is just Bad Luck and not caused by diet or exercise issues). I have lots of Medicine Pops and finger checks every day, but they don't hurt me. I am sooooooo tough. Mom and Dad said they are so proud of me and that I am their hero. I like being a hero.

<< Home