Party for Papa
Thank goodness I woke up feeling perfect today - the germs from last night must have gone away - because today is a big day - we are having a party for Papa. Mom says my Papa was a waterfront guy so he would have liked my sailor party dress that I wore for him today. Mom says today is the first of many party days where we will pay tribute to Papa. Mom cried a lot today but she also smiled some. She said the beautiful words of the poem made her cry.
"I am standing upon the seashore.
A ship at my side spreads her white sails
To the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean.
She is an object of beauty and strength
And I stand and watch her until at length
She is like a speck of white cloud
Just where the sea and sky come down
To mingle with each other.
Then someone at my side says, "There, she is gone."
Gone where? Gone from my sight, that is all.
She is just as she was when she left my side,
And just as able to bear her load of living freight
To the place of destination.
Her diminished size is in us, not in her.
And just at the moment when someone at my side says,
"There, she is gone!"
There are other eyes watchng her coming,
And other voices ready to take up the glad shout,
"There she comes!"
And that is dying."
It was so nice to share so many stories about him. I hope he knows how loved he was/is. Clearly, he made more of an impact in his short life than most. We will make you proud, Papa. I am so glad I got to meet you.

<< Home